[systemd-devel] [HEADS-UP] hwdb: change 60-keyboard.hwdb matches

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 26 01:27:00 PDT 2015

Hey David,

(sorry for late reply, back from holidays)

David Herrmann [2015-03-16 12:31 +0100]:
> I've pushed some patches that change the hwdb 60-keyboard matching
> logic. This was needed to support bluetooth devices, and then I just
> went ahead and cleaned up the other rules. This email is meant as a
> heads-up to you guys, as you are the most frequent contributors to
> that file.

Thanks for the heads-up!

> Two notes:
>
> 1) Both of you added keyboard:usb:* matches that match on the USB
> interface. This was now dropped in:
>   http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=b26e4ced91d0ac0eabdce1c505228ccafc65a23f
> If this was intentional, we can re-add it, but it looked like a
> safety-net to me, rather than an explicit interface match. Please let
> me know if it is required!

Some USB devices (Logitech and/or Microsoft, I don't remember any
more) do need an interface match; e. g. some USB keyboards also
include a mouse/touchpad and thus expose two input devices, and we
must ensure to apply the keymap to the keyboard, not to the mouse.
However, this does not apply to the Compaq ones, so this commit looks
ok.

It indeed makes much more sense to match on the input devices than on
the USB ones, so handling the multi-function device case should be
much easier now.

> 2) The keyboard:dmi:* matches are now merged with the platform
> fallback, as the platform-fallback is a superset of the dmi-match:
>   http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=ba76ee29bc02879fb42c048132af8889b00220d5

Looks fine.

Thanks!

Martin