[systemd-devel] Masked services start dependencies in any case

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at inai.de
Sun Mar 29 16:46:30 PDT 2015

Thread originated in
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2015-03/msg00419.html

On Monday 2015-03-30 01:07, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>On Sunday 2015-03-29 20:24, Stefan Seifert wrote:
>>
>>Some time in the last month Tumbleweed lost the ability to boot into runlevel
>>3 (command line with no X server running) by appending a 3 to the kernel line
>>in the grub menu. I guess that's because with systemd there are no numbered
>>runlevels anymore,
>
>There is a bug… somewhere. !@#$%^&

Our basic.target requests klog.service.

Our klog.service has a Requires=default.target defined. This resolves
to, say, graphical.target, *rather than* what's on the command line. And
so, the graphic parts are started *even if* you have "3" on the boot
line.

klog.service itself is masked in our setup, so it won't be started, but
its dependencies *are* in systemd-219. Why, o why? >:-{
This did not occur in 210.

systemd debug messages….(after patching source code…):

Mar 29 19:38:37 jng-sfac systemd[1]: Pulling in graphical.target/start
from klog.service/start

The log message at the start of the
transaction_add_job_and_dependencies() function should really always be
enabled, and not commented out, so that people can exactly figure out
these kinds of weird systemd behaviors.