[systemd-devel] Supporting ExecStartPre= and friends in `systemctl set-property` or `systemd-run -p`

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed May 6 09:59:49 PDT 2015

On Wed, 06.05.15 19:53, Andrei Borzenkov (arvidjaar at gmail.com) wrote:

> I still think that being able to define and start group of units as one
> unit (pun unintended) is better in the long run.
>
> This really far exceeds original scope of systemd-run which was
> "quickly start something under systemd supervision". When we have
> complex set of units with interdependency either systemd-run is the
> wrong tool for it or it should do it right, not paper over.

Hmm, you actually have a point, and we already *do* support queuing
groups of units, and that should suffice for this usecase, so that we
don't need to allow definiton of reverse deps.

This is actually already used for the time-based systemd-run stuff,
where we create both a transient timer and a transient service unit
and then start the timer unit.

Ivan, what you are trying to do hence should already work just fine in
the lower level apis, using the "auxiliary" list of units that the
StartTransientUnt() bus call takes. systemd-run doesn't generically
open this up yet though (and i dont know how it could do so nicely).