[systemd-devel] Dependency on timers.target

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Thu May 7 02:26:41 PDT 2015

Hello,

I have a systemd timer (sensors-logger.timer) which requires another
service (carbonCache.service) to be active:

  [Unit]
  Requires=carbonCache.service
  After=carbonCache.service
  Description=Log hardware sensors to graphite.

  [Timer]
  OnCalendar=*-*-* *:*:00

I noticed the following systemd warnings in my journal:

  Found ordering cycle on basic.target/start
  Found dependency on timers.target/start
  Found dependency on sensors-logger.timer/start
  Found dependency on carbonCache.service/start
  Found dependency on basic.target/start
  Breaking ordering cycle by deleting job timers.target/start
  Job timers.target/start deleted to break ordering cycle
    starting with basic.target/start
  Found ordering cycle on basic.target/start
  Found dependency on timers.target/start
  Found dependency on sensors-logger.timer/start
  Found dependency on carbonCache.service/start
  Found dependency on basic.target/start
  Unable to break cycle
  Requested transaction contains an unfixable cyclic
    ordering dependency: Transaction order is cyclic.
      See system logs for details.

Apparantly timers.target has a dependency on
sensors-logger.timer. However I didn't specify this. Is this
done automatically by systemd? If so, is it possible to
disable this and is it wise to do so?

I'm running systemd-217.

Cheers,

Bas