[systemd-devel] Automatic user ACL management

Mikhail Morfikov mmorfikov at gmail.com
Sun May 17 03:46:02 PDT 2015

As you can read, for instance here
( http://enotty.pipebreaker.pl/2012/05/23/linux-automatic-user-acl-management/
), logind, which is a part of systemd, can set permissions to some
devices for user sessions. There's also a vid showing how this kind of
behavior works in practice
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcD4Qr5ldbI ). In short, if you
start, let's say, amarok, and you play some song, you will hear the
sound till you switch to another user or TTY where you have only the
login prompt. That's because the active session became inactive.

I know that you can simply add a user (or users) to a specific group,
in this case "audio", and that will 'fix' this issue, but I'm wondering
if there's another solution. What I really want is to set some
permissions for the process so it could use the sound card all the
time, even when all users have their sessions locked.

Is that possible? I'm asking because I often listen to the music and I
don't really need my monitor to be on most of the time, so I just lock
the screen. But when I lock the screen, the active session becomes
inactive and amarok stops playing. And yes, the screen should be
locked, and not just turned off.