[systemd-devel] Will *.network replace resolv.conf? What about "Options single-request"?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon May 18 08:51:59 PDT 2015

On Sat, 16.05.15 14:30, Mantas Mikulėnas (grawity at gmail.com) wrote:

> > And I think that glibc does something similar. If it receives a truncated
> > packet, it tries to get the full packet over TCP and only if the DNS server
> > does not support TCP, it delivers the truncated data.
>
> Hmm, what happens when the server supports neither? (Retry with 8.8.8.8 or
> another fallback?)

I'd be very careful with such fallbacks: DNS servers (especially in
companies) tend to define their own local hostnames, and if we'd
automatically fall back to 8.8.8.8 in such cases, those hostnames
would suddently vanish from view.

8.8.8.8 is fine as fallback if no other DNS servers are known, but if
we know one we better do our best to talk to it.