[systemd-devel] Setting UseDomains=yes by default DHCP

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Mon May 18 19:37:46 PDT 2015

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 07:33:43PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 18.05.15 12:26, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek (zbyszek at in.waw.pl) wrote:
>
> > I now agree with what Lennart proposed too. This is partially implemented
> > now, and with UseDomains=yes, option 15 is used to to set 'search' field.
> >
> > I think we should go a step further, and set UseDomains=yes by default,
> > to have 'search' populated in /etc/resolv.conf. I think the security
> > reservations are overstated:
> > iiuc, the concern was that multi-level domain names (i.e. those with at least
> > one dot) could be spoofed by controlling the search suffix. But for
> > names with at least two levels glibc only uses the search list as a
> > fallback.
>
> Well, sure, being able to influence things at the beginning of the
> search logic is more problematic than influencing things at the end of
> the search logic, but i still think it's problematic, since it still
> allows you to insert "home.foobar.com" into a domain "foobar.com" that
> doesn't have "home.foobar.com" itself but only "www.bar.com"...
>
> Sure, classic (non-DNSSEC) DNS is not ever going to be fully secure,
> but it I still believe we should default to the safer options, and
> allow the others.
>
> Altering the search paths is inherently something that makes no sense
> on public networks, it only makes sense if you know your network well,
> and trust it to some level. Hence opt-in sounds like the better option
> to me.
Ok, this makes a lot of sense... but currently this policy is not very
consistent.  UseDNS defaults to true, which gives control of *all* names
to the dhcp server, not just over the prefix. When we have DNSSEC by default,
this will be different though, so that's fine I guess.

OTOH, I really don't see why UseHostname default to true. Why trust the
server in this regard?

> > The story is sligthly different for single-level names. By setting UseDomains=yes
> > we allow the dhcp server some control over the resolution of those names.
> > But that seems natural too. If we want to allow LLMR or avahi, allowing
> > the dhcp server to also control local name resolution seems a natural extension.
> >
> > Any reservations for making UseDomains=yes the default?
>
> I'd really prefer if this stays opt-in. That said, I think it would be
> a really good idea to improve the documentation of DHCP= to suggest
> people to set UseDomains=yes if they need it.

I now pushed a commit which does that.

Zbyszek