[systemd-devel] systemd-218 - Requisite implies TriggeredByRestartOf

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Tue May 19 07:13:20 PDT 2015

On Tue, 2015-05-19 at 14:06 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Tue, 19.05.15 14:15, Uoti Urpala (uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi) wrote:
> > As for Evert's original problem, I think it's that RESTART is propagated
> > to all RequiredBy units unconditionally - even if those are currently
> > stopped! This affects both Requires= and Requisite= in exactly the same

> Hmm, so basically you are saying that currently RESTART is propagated
> as RESTART to all depending units, but you suggest that it should be
> propagated as TRY_RESTART? Did I get this right?

Yes, I think that should fix it.

I feel that a TRY_RESTART style true restart would be a more natural
base operation than the current "either start or restart" one, with the
START_OR_RESTART for "systemctl restart" semantics collapsing to either
START or RESTART. With that terminology, the logic would simply be that
RESTART is propagated, START is not.