[systemd-devel] networkd: dbus API for networkd reconfiguration at run-time

Rauta, Alin alin.rauta at intel.com
Thu May 21 07:32:09 PDT 2015

Yes. It makes sence.
Thanks,
Alin

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Gundersen [mailto:teg at jklm.no]
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2015 3:20 PM
To: Rauta, Alin
Cc: Lennart Poettering; systemd-devel at lists.freedesktop.org; Belkind, Nadav
Subject: Re: networkd: dbus API for networkd reconfiguration at run-time

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Rauta, Alin <alin.rauta at intel.com> wrote:
> Hi Lennart,
>
> Thanks for the answers.
>
> One more questions. Just a curiosity of mine.
>
> Currently, a user has to write scripts if he wants to save the run-time configuration in networkd format or to use a configuration management tool like chef for example.
> Even with the latter, the user still needs to write scripts.
>
> What about saving the run-time configuration in networkd format with "networkctl" maybe ?
> Something like "networkctl save" or "networkctl save config" with extensions to provide per port configuration saving, output directory for saved configuration and so on ... ?

Not entirely sure I understand the question, but this is what I have in mind: we support three config sources at the moment: stuff in /lib which is shipped by packages, stuff in /etc that is provided by the admin and is persistent between reboots and stuff in /run which is lost on reboot. Our future API should have a switch allowing the config we apply to either be persistent (written out to /etc) or ephemeral (written out to /run), so that any config in networkd is backed by a config file somewhere. Does that make sense? Does it answer your question, or is there some other type of config you would like to write out?

Cheers,

Tom