[systemd-devel] How to wait for specific interface/IP?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue May 26 07:03:10 PDT 2015

On Sat, 23.05.15 11:03, Ian Pilcher (arequipeno at gmail.com) wrote:

> Is there a simple way to make a service require that a specific network
> interface/IP address be active?
>
> I have a manually set up bridge and dnsmasq configuration for my VM
> traffic, but dnsmasq is getting started before NetworkManager has
> configured the bridge and failing because it cannot bind to the bridge's
> IP address.

Well, for networkd, there's the systemd-networkd-wait-online tool that
allows you to wait until a specific interface is up. Maybe NM supports
something similar? Please ask NM folks for help.

Also, dnsmasq should probably use IP_FREEBIND or so (at least
optionally) so that it can work without requiring the interface to be
up.

Either way, this is something to contact the NM and dnsmasq people
about.