[systemd-devel] pre-release warnings? [was: 220 tarball erroneously ships keyboard-keys-from-name.gperf]

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue May 26 07:43:13 PDT 2015

On Tue, 26.05.15 16:26, Martin Pitt (martin.pitt at ubuntu.com) wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Dimitri John Ledkov [2015-05-26 15:12 +0100]:
> > Or will there be a v220.1 release shortly with releasy fix-ups?
>
> Can we perhaps flip that around? I did a make dist/port our
> patches/build packackages/run our tests round on May 11, but that was
> before most of the recent "hiccups" landed in master. I'd rather love
> to do that once I know that a release is around the corner, but as we
> don't currently have "release is imminent" warnings none of the
> packagers can do this as a pre-release exercise.
>
> So Lennart: WDYT about announcing your intent to do a stable release
> on the ML, and then us packagers can do a "make dist", test an actual
> tarball, and thus find all these little tarball errors, udev
> regressions and what not before the official release is cut?

Well, I had been trying to stabilize things since 3 weeks before the
release, I did mention it on IRC back then. I didn't announce this on
the ML though, but I figure I could do that too, for the next cycle...

I tend to ping some people before the release, who I know have
independent test suites or care for last-minute fixes...

> At least for me, the biggest part of updating to a new release is to
> rebase our ~ 50 patches; doing that against a near-release tarball
> will be the same amount of work; running automatic tests is negligible
> human effort, and running manual tests doesn't take that long for me
> (that's the point which might vastly differ for other packagers -- but
> then again, testing pre-release tarballs means that not much will
> change any more until the real release, so the second time testing
> will be faster).

50 non-backport patches? That sounds like a lot...