[systemd-devel] non-merged /usr changes [was: pre-release warnings?]

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue May 26 09:06:22 PDT 2015

Hey Lennart,

Lennart Poettering [2015-05-26 17:31 +0200]:
> But note that upstream is supposed to be non-redhat centric, and is
> supposed to support non-merged /usr. If it's really about that, I#d be
> inetersted to know what these patches are about, and maybe we can move
> some upstream.

There's a bunch of different config files, such as /etc/locale.conf
and /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf (Fedora) vs.
/etc/default/locale and /etc/default/keyboard (Debian) (Debian uses
just one keyboard layout for both console and X), but these got
removed upstream to avoid some #ifdeffery [1]. Not much to worry
about.

More intrusive is the removal of chkconfig and addition of
update-rc.d:
  http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-systemd/systemd.git/tree/debian/patches/Make-systemctl-enable-disable-call-update-rc.d-for-s.patch?h=experimental
  http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-systemd/systemd.git/tree/debian/patches/systemctl-don-t-skip-native-units-when-enabling-disa.patch?h=experimental

but again moving these upstream would just mean more #ifdeffery.

Then there's the (now completely separate) fsckd which you also
already rejected:
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-systemd/systemd.git/tree/debian/patches/fsckd-daemon-for-inter-fsckd-communication.patch?h=experimental-220
I'd be happy to put that back and maintain it upstream, perhaps with a
--configure option. But it rebases well as the changes to existing
files are minimal.

Then we have some stupid stuff like
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-systemd/systemd.git/tree/debian/patches/buildsys-Don-t-default-to-gold-as-the-linker.patch?h=experimental-220
which got rejected, but are nevertheless still necessary on distros
(and not only for us, see responses to [2])

The single one which I'd *really* like to get rid of is this 91 kB
patch beast:
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-systemd/systemd.git/tree/debian/patches/Fix-paths-in-man-pages.patch?h=experimental-220
This fixes the manpages to give correct paths for non-merged /usr. I
think the correct upstream fix would be to replace the hardcoded
"/usr/lib/systemd/" bits with XML entities like &systemunitdir; or
perhaps more generically &rootlibdir; (even with --enable-split-usr
and --with-rootprefix=/ some bits still land in /usr/, like
/usr/lib/systemd/user{,-generators} and /usr/lib/systemd/catalog/. If
you'd accept a patch for that, I'll work on that.

That's just a random sample; I'm happy to go through our patches [3] in
more details if you want. The manpage one is the one that causes more
work to update than all other patches together, so getting rid of that
would be quite an improvement!

Martin

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=46a2911bf
[2] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2015-February/028544.html