[systemd-devel] 220 tarball erroneously ships keyboard-keys-from-name.gperf

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Tue May 26 17:51:22 PDT 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 04:17:07PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Tue, 26.05.15 15:12, Dimitri John Ledkov (dimitri.j.ledkov at intel.com) wrote:
>
> > Or will there be a v220.1 release shortly with releasy fix-ups?
>
> Well, we don't do point releases in systemd.
>
> In systemd git we already have now the change that makes sd-bus and
> sd-event public APIs, hence v221 is going to be more than just
> bugfixes.

Is git revert not an option? Does someone depend on this already, making
a rollback impossible (and why would you allow that)? You say that
versions are "just a label", but a project which adopts semver would be
able to create a branch in git and produce a dot release with backported
bugfixes. Surely you're familiar with this concept -- your colleague
Karel does this routinely with util-linux.

The fact of the matter is, the last 2 releases of systemd have been
brown bag releases. Neither 219 nor 220 are useable as the tarballs are
provided. v220 doesn't even build in a large number of configurations.
v218 wasn't quite as bad, but landed 18 patches in Arch's packaging
before v219 was released. For the average Arch package, this is unheard
of, let alone being a *necessity* in order to make software useable.

Please, let's figure out a way to lower the amount of work that gets
sharded out and duplicated by downstream packagers.

> Also, next week I'll be travelling and I doubt I will be able to
> finish a new release by then. Maybe in the middle of June we can get
> out a new release.
>
> Sorry,

I'm sorry to hear this too. Please find someone else who's paid to work
on systemd and teach them how to package releases. The current state of
affairs absolutely sucks for downstreams. Currently, packaging systemd
takes more of my time than all of my other packaging responsibilities
combined.

At LPC in New Orleans, you asked me how you could make systemd easier to
work with on the downstream side. I told you that I wanted more frequent
releases. You seemed amenable to this, but it really never happened.
I'm asking again: can we have more frequent releases? Can you take the
steps to actually make this happen and not gate releases on your own
personal availability?