[systemd-devel] regression: crashing journal due to watchdog

Umut Tezduyar Lindskog umut at tezduyar.com
Wed May 27 02:09:40 PDT 2015

Hi,

The for (;;) loop in server_process_datagram might prevent journal
from feeding the watchdog if there is always something to receive in
the syslog socket. Potentially journald is restarted, applications
stall if the syslog socket is staying full....

I thought about fixing it by checking the watchdog on every iteration
of for (;;) by using watchdog_last, watchdog_period and feeding
watchdog if necessary but none of those properties are public.

Current rate limit check is done right before we store the message
(after we receive it, after we forward it to console, wall, kmsg). I
think it is too late.

Maybe the best approach is having a rate limit on sd-event
(sd-event-source) so we can map rate limit options in journald.conf to
journal's sd-event.

Thoughts?
Umut