[systemd-devel] how to call dbus ListUnits for user units?

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Wed May 27 02:23:05 PDT 2015

On 26/05/15 20:22, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:
> But right now, the 'user' bus does not exist by default. To create it,
> you need either
> a) enable/install/boot with kdbus,
> or b) obtain the "dbus.service" & "dbus.socket" user units. (They're in
> dbus-git, or various other places like
> <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd/User#D-Bus>.)

The Correct™ way to get dbus.service/dbus.socket user units these days
is with dbus >= 1.9.14 configured with --enable-user-session.

If there are other ways to get similar units (e.g. user-session-units),
please deprecate them. dbus upstream is where this stuff should have
been all along, and in particular, dbus >= 1.9.14 is where I've made
sure that libdbus and `dbus-launch --autolaunch` connect to the user bus
(if it exists) by default.

> Configured this way, the 'user' bus won't replace the session bus yet

This is not the case. If there is a user bus, then the session bus *is*
the user bus.

Simon McVittie
Collabora Ltd. <http://www.collabora.com/>