[systemd-devel] abstracting chkconfig vs. update-rc.d [was: non-merged /usr changes]

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed May 27 06:17:57 PDT 2015

Hey Lennart,

Lennart Poettering [2015-05-27 15:08 +0200]:
> >   /usr/lib/lsb/install_initd /etc/init.d/example.com-coffeed
> >   /usr/lib/lsb/remove_initd /etc/init.d/example.com-coffeed
> >
> > So we could make systemctl just call this if it's available, and
> > otherwise do nothing for init.d scripts.
>
> Sounds OK to use something like this, that already exists.
>
> However, we actually need not only enabling/disabling, but also
> "is-enabled" support, and idea on that?

My current version of the patch keeps the chkconfig implementation for
now; I suppose we don't want to needlessly enforce a lockstep
situation where you can't use systemd git on Fedora until these
scripts exist.

LSB does not define an interface for checking whether an init.d script
is enabled, and e. g. Debian's update-rc.d does not currently either
(https://bugs.debian.org/705254).

We certainly know whether an init.d script is enabled, as we check
exactly that in the sysv-generator (and if it's disabled we don't
create a .service for it). However, right now the systemctl is-enabled
command will just give you a "not supported with sysvinit" error with
--disable-chkconfig.

> Also, I'd like to keep Lukas Nykryn in the loop on this, our
> initscripts maintainer.

Did you mean to CC: him?

Thanks,

Martin