[systemd-devel] How to wait for specific interface/IP?

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Wed May 27 09:37:58 PDT 2015

On 05/23/2015 11:03 AM, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> Is there a simple way to make a service require that a specific network
> interface/IP address be active?
>
> I have a manually set up bridge and dnsmasq configuration for my VM
> traffic, but dnsmasq is getting started before NetworkManager has
> configured the bridge and failing because it cannot bind to the bridge's
> IP address.

Thanks to all for your responses.  It looks like dnsmasq's (somewhat
hidden) bind-dynamic option will work for my use case.

I am a bit surprised to find that systemd doesn't provide a way to do
this, nor does it appear to be seen as a desirable feature.  To me, this
seems like exactly the sort of asynchronous, event-driven behavior that
I would consider to be "the systemd way".

(In my case, I would be waiting for a private VM traffic bridge, so the
NetworkManager or systemd-networkd "wait to be online" targets aren't
what I'm looking for.)

Thanks again!