[systemd-devel] [systemd-commits] Makefile.am

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Sun May 31 07:53:01 PDT 2015

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 6:53 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 29.05.15 09:45, Filipe Brandenburger (filbranden at google.com) wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was thinking about this one recently...
>>
>> I really think the "correct" solution is for man/custom-entities.ent
>> to be generated by configure from a man/custom-entities.ent.in
>> template instead. I haven't really checked if that's viable though, if
>> configure knows about every variable it will need, etc. but I was
>> planning to look into it at some point in the near future.
>
> iirc one should not generate sources with autoconf .in stuff, but
> always with explicit sed invocations. There was was something avout
> this in the autoconf docs, don't really remember where.

"Similarly, you should not rely on AC_CONFIG_FILES to replace bindir
and friends in your shell scripts and other files; instead, let make
manage their replacement. For instance Autoconf ships templates of its
shell scripts ending with ‘.in’, and uses a makefile snippet similar
to the following to build scripts like autoheader and autom4te"

http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html#Installation-Directory-Variables

Kay