[systemd-devel] systemd.network defaults (was: Re: ip forwarding)

Michael Laß bevan at bi-co.net
Fri Nov 6 02:40:13 PST 2015

Am Donnerstag, den 05.11.2015, 16:08 -0800 schrieb Johannes Ernst:
> The problem: I thought I created that file to say “get an IP address
> via DHCP” because that’s all it talks about. But due to the IPForward
> default, I also specified “and turn off ip forwarding”, which is non-
> obvious (e.g. I just found out, and I originally ran into this in
> June). So I suggest the default should be “don’t touch this setting”
> instead of 0.

The same holds for other values I think. I once hit the same problem
with the IPv6PrivacyExtensions setting. I enabled it via sysctl and
wondered why it was disabled for one device, which I had configured
using systemd-networkd.

Although this is clearly documented in the man page I think it would be
less surprising behavior to generally default to kernel for such
configuration items. Is there a specific reason against that?

Cheers,
Michael