[systemd-devel] network interface renaming via PCI ID w/ systemd-udevd

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 23:56:28 PST 2015

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 9:29 AM, Matthew Hall <mhall at mhcomputing.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 07:59:03AM +0200, Mantas Mikul??nas wrote:
> > I'm not sure if udev even still _allows_ renaming to eth*, but even if it
> > does, that's explicitly not supported. (For example, between the time
> eth0
> > appears and the "rename to eth1" rule gets processed, another eth1 might
> > also appear, and the rename would fail.) If you want custom names, use
> en*
> > or port* or lan* or some other prefix.
>
> Let me try and put this another way. I have been using UNIX 24 years. I
> have
> typed the characters eth0 so long that it's long since been hardcoded into
> my
> fingers; trying to change it would drive me crazy and serve no beneficial
> purpose besides confusing me when I am trying to get work done. The
> computer
> is a tool to help me solve problems. It makes more sense to get the
> computer
> to accomodate the users than the other way around.
>
> Dynamically populating the "eth*" namespace with random unexpected network
> interfaces on the fly should honestly be considered a bug not a feature. If
> they are dynamically populated then they can be placed anywhere, so why not
> place them under net0, net1, net2, etc.?
>
> It makes no sense to put them into the middle of a namespace that has
> decades
> of what had previously been pretty clear easy-to-follow traditions behind
> it.

...Really not sure what you're complaining about, here.

You begin with saying that eth# is good because that's how it's been done
for decades – but then you say the exact same thing is now *bad* and the
kernel should start putting new interfaces under net#, completely
contradicting your earlier "trying to change it would drive me crazy". What
even?

The kernel has been "dynamically populating the eth* namespace with random
unexpected network interfaces" since day one. It's not a systemd thing.
It's as you said "how UNIX has always worked".

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>