[systemd-devel] [packaging] split of systemd package

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Nov 12 00:46:47 PST 2015

On Wed, 11.11.15 12:58, Martin Pitt (martin.pitt at ubuntu.com) wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> in case it's useful, this is how we split them in Debian.
>
> However, is this even a topic for upstream, apart from giving
> recommendations? I. e. do you actually consider putting this kind of
> split into the upstream build system à la "make
> install-<component>"?

Nope, we won't do that.

> Lukáš Nykrýn [2015-11-11 11:47 +0100]:
> > Personally I don't think it makes sense to split the package to get a
> > smaller core package. Most of our binaries are just few KBs.
>
> They are actually fairly big, 100 kB to 1.5 MB for systemd itself. I
> think the main reason for that is that they all statically link
> libsystemd instead of dynamically linking to libsystemd.so.0. Is there
> a particular reason for that?

Yes, there is. If we'd share the common code via a proper .so then
we'd have to commit to a stable API for that, or bump the soname on
every single release. We really don't want to do either. The internal
stuff is stupposed to be internal, and not an API.

> Another reason is to make it easy to enable/disable a particular
> feature (e. g.  libnss-myhostname).

I don't see why one would ever disable this feature... I doubt this
makes senseto split out really.

> > systemd-networkd (maybe also with resolved?)
>
> We currently keep that in the "systemd" package as splitting it out
> now is a bit of an upgrade pain, but we discussed doing this.

As mentioned I wouldn't split this out either.