[systemd-devel] network interface renaming via PCI ID w/ systemd-udevd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Nov 12 01:34:09 PST 2015

On Thu, 12.11.15 00:12, Matthew Hall (mhall at mhcomputing.net) wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am tearing my hair out trying to follow the directions in this page to get the
> correct interface names on Ubuntu Wily w/ systemd-udevd.
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

Actually the best way to give nice names to your iface is via .link
files these days. But we never documented that on that wiki page. I
have now updated the page a bit, adding a reference to this.

See the end of the systemd.link(5) man page for examples how to do
this:

    http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.link.html

> I am just trying to get my eth0 - eth3 into the desired order. The order in
> lspci is correct:

The ethXYZ names are assigned automatically by the kernel, you will
necessarily race against the kernel if you try to assign them,
too.

Never do this, please, you can only lose with that. Pick names such as
"net0", "internet0", "dmz0", "front0", "back0", "uplink0", "foo",
"bar", "waldo", but not "eth0" of all things...