[systemd-devel] [packaging] split of systemd package

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 12 01:57:04 PST 2015

Lennart Poettering [2015-11-12  9:46 +0100]:
> > Another reason is to make it easy to enable/disable a particular
> > feature (e. g.  libnss-myhostname).
>
> I don't see why one would ever disable this feature... I doubt this
> makes senseto split out really.

We have to do that because it's a shared library and needs to be
multi-arch compatible (i. e. you might have more than one architecture
installed at the same time); so this was a bad example wrt. feature
enablement indeed. libnss-mymachines and libnss-resolved might be
better ones (but we don't have a choice to not split them out anyway).

> > > systemd-networkd (maybe also with resolved?)
> >
> > We currently keep that in the "systemd" package as splitting it out
> > now is a bit of an upgrade pain, but we discussed doing this.
>
> As mentioned I wouldn't split this out either.

I'm reluctant to do it too. At the moment there's little reason
because we still have the iptables support disabled. Both because the
iptables vs. nftables question isn't decided yet, and also because it
would mean another set of heavy dependencies in the default install
for a relatively little used feature. libnftnl is much smaller, so
if/once we switch to that, this is much less of a concern.

Martin