[systemd-devel] reboot during booting up

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Nov 13 04:10:25 PST 2015

On Fri, 13.11.15 17:41, Dangyi Liu (dliu at redhat.com) wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm from Fedora kdump team and we found that in the latest verson of
> systemd, it's no longer legal to call reboot during system booting up.
> It complains
>
> > Transaction contains conflicting jobs 'stop' and 'start' for
> > shutdown.target.
>
> I'm wondering whether it's possible to do so because I've checked
> almost all related services and added "DefaultDependencies=no" for
> them, but it never works.

How do you issue the reboot call?

This should really work. Basically, there's a mode how you can enqueue
jobs systemd shall execute, called "replace-irreversibly". Reboot
requests are generally enqueued this way. This mode ensures that when
later on contradicting jobs are enqueued that later transaction will
fail instead of the older reboot transaction...

Most likely when you run into this you already have some transaction
of this kind enqueued, but the question is why. "systemctl dump" shows
you all queued jobs (and more) and the Irreversible flag for each.