[systemd-devel] Fwd: container networking and iptables

Andy Pieters Pieters.Andy+systemd at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 00:29:59 PST 2015

Hi Johannes

You can make the changes w/o tearing down the iptables.

I must admit I have been known to make changes directly to the iptables
rules file myself, but reloading the firewall for every change isn't always
practicable.

Because of that I have adopted a policy of making the change to the running
firewall, and then doing a iptables-save > /etc/iptables/iptables.rules

The reason the container's networking breaks when you restart iptables is
that the masquerade rule is added to the running iptables only and not
written to the file.

Bear in mind though that if you do save iptables with iptables-save ...
whilst your container is running, the masquerade rule will also be saved.

Hope this helps