[systemd-devel] [help][227] Enabling a user service breaks a little my system!

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 04:07:20 PST 2015

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Jorge Araya Navarro <elcorreo at deshackra.com
> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm suffering a issue with systemd's user services that I fixed only with
> a workaround, but today I
> want to fix this issue completely.
>
> I have created a user service which starts GNU Emacs, and another user
> service which starts GNU
> Screen[1], and enabled both.
>
> After rebooting my machine and login into my account, I get a pop up
> asking me to unlock my keyring,
> when it should be unlocked automatically after I login.
>
> Also, opening a shell and entering `systemctl --user` outputs the error:

> $ LC_ALL=C systemctl --user
> Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory

This sounds like a weird PAM problem... Do your regular login sessions show
up in `loginctl`? What $XDG_SESSION_ID do you see inside screen and outside?

Is the `user@$UID.service` system service running?

> [1]: This makes no sense, I know, I should put such service in
> `/etc/systemd/system/` and enable it
> as screen at myusername. I'll make this transition as soon as I solve my
> problem with systemd and
> environment variables.

On the contrary, it makes much more sense than abusing system services to
run per-user stuff.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>