[systemd-devel] systemd and kernel process

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Oct 3 05:18:35 PDT 2015

On Wed, 30.09.15 16:49, Steve Dickson (SteveD at redhat.com) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a way for systemd to monitor kernel process?

To add to what Kay said:

No. Kernel threads cannot really be tracked by userspace in any
sensible manner. We won't get SIGCHLD for them, and they cannot be
moved outside of the root cgroup. This means we will not get events
about their life-time, and cannot track their existance at all.

With the current kernel this is hence technically not possible. On top
of that though, I am not sure this would even be desirable
semantically: babysitting kernel facilities from userspace sounds
wrong to me, I think we want a clear hierarchy, that the kernel is
responsible for PID 1, and then PID 1 for the rest of the
services. But making PID1 also responsible for the kernel appears like
the wrong way around.