[systemd-devel] With cryptsetup if entering password takes too long, systemd falls back to emergency mode and cannot continue boot

Jayson Willson jaysonwillson245 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 05:40:11 PDT 2015

Hello everybody!
I have Debian 8.2, systemd 215-17 and the following partitioning structure:
sda                          8:0    0 111,8G  0 disk
├─sda1                       8:1    0   200M  0 part  /boot/efi
├─sda2                       8:2    0    60G  0 part
│ └─pc--vg-root 254:0    0    30G  0 lvm   /
├─sda3                       8:3    0   300M  0 part
├─sda4                       8:4    0   100M  0 part
├─sda5                       8:5    0   128M  0 part
└─sda6                       8:6    0  51,1G  0 part
sdb                          8:16   0   1,8T  0 disk
└─sdb1                       8:17   0   1,5T  0 part
   └─pc--vg-home         254:1    0  1000G  0 lvm
     └─home_decrypted         254:2    0  1000G  0 crypt /home

I.e. I have root and /home inside lvm, and /home is encrypted.
During boot time I am prompted for password to decrypt /home, and if it
takes me too long time to enter it (for example, if I go afk), systemd says:
"Welcome to emergency mode! After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to
view system logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" to
try again to boot into default mode."
But after it I am not prompted for root login/pass, but instead I am
prompted for "/home" decryption password.
If I enter it, initialization continues, but systemd only reaches
targets "System initialization" and "Basic System". These stages
complete successfully (no errors), but I can not login, because there is
no prompt for login. Ctrl+C, Ctrl+D do not help, there is nothing on
other ttys. Thus there is only one way for me: reboot.
Could you please help me to resolve this problem?
Thank you.
--
Yours sincerely, Jayson Willson