[systemd-devel] How does systemd discover template instances?

Stuart Longland stuartl at longlandclan.id.au
Wed Oct 14 21:01:33 PDT 2015

On 15/10/15 13:23, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> 15.10.2015 00:30, Stuart Longland пишет:
>> Assuming I have a few files distributed in the base package:
>>     /lib/systemd/system/comms-drivers.service
>>     /lib/systemd/system/comms-drivers at .service
>>
>> Ordinarily, one would tell systemd about template instances by creating
>> symbolic links.
>>
>> Suppose however I wanted to not do this, but instead, provide some
>> automatic discovery mechanism for systemd, so it could run a script that
>> would tell it what instances exist.
>>
>> Is there a mechanism for doing this in systemd?
>>

> I'm not sure if I actually understand the question, but - templates are
> instantiated on the fly. If template foo at .service exists and it is
> attempted to start foo at bar.service, systemd will create it internally.
> It is full fledged unit that is visible in status, can be stopped, is
> part of dependency resolution etc.

Okay, that's useful to know.  So in order to start foo at bar.service, I
don't need to create any files.

Question is, how does systemd find out about the existence of
foo at bar.service without a file being present?

The idea being that the service foo.service acts as a means of
starting/stopping/querying all instances.  I would guess that
stopping/restarting/querying, systemd is smart enough to look at what's
presently running, however what about starting?
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.