[systemd-devel] systemd-run returns with 'Failed to start transient scope unit: Unit run-13034.scope already exists.'

Petr Horacek phoracek at redhat.com
Thu Oct 15 04:25:55 PDT 2015

Hello,

recently we encountered strange systemd problem on automated tests of
networking
part of oVirt VDSM project.

Sometimes this happens:
$ /usr/sbin/ifdown enp1s0f1
$ /usr/bin/systemd-run --scope --slice=vdsm-dhclient /usr/sbin/ifup enp1s0f1
Failed to start transient scope unit: Unit run-13034.scope already exists.

systemd-run should create a new scope every time it's called, should not
it? Could it be
a racefull bug in systemd?

I found recently added issue [1] which describes similar problem, but with
--unit instead
of --slice. Note that our machine which reproduced it has systemd older
than v220.

Is it possible, that this is the same case as described in [1] and
therefore it should be
fixed in systemd 220?

Is it possible to backport [1]'s fix to EL7?

Thanks a lot,
Petr