[systemd-devel] systemctl edit via polkit results in access denied

Chris Bell cwbell at narmos.org
Fri Oct 16 07:44:50 PDT 2015

Hello,

I have configured polkit to allow my user to manage basically everything
in systemd without requiring sudo or root. Enabling, disabling,
reloading, etc all work as expected. However, 'systemctl edit' does not.
It does not deny permission for me to use the function, but it fails
when trying to copy the file to a temporary directory:

$ systemctl edit rngd.service
Failed to create directories for
"/etc/systemd/system/rngd.service.d/override.conf": Permission denied

Is there a way for polkit to correct or temporarily override these
permissions? Or should I use ACLs to grant write permission to my user
for those directories?

Thanks!

Chris