[systemd-devel] Proposal: Add biosdevname naming scheme to systemd

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 23:15:00 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 7:46 AM, Jordan Hargrave <jharg93 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 1:17 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
>> Hi Jordan,
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 4:45 PM, Jordan Hargrave <jharg93 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> There are currently two competing naming mechanisms for network cards,
>>> biosdevname and systemd.  Systemd currently has some limitations on naming
>>> cards that use network partitioning or support SR-IOV.
>>
>> Could you point to an example so we can fix it? I thought all bug
>> reports had been handled, but maybe I lost track of something.
>>

> I have a quad-port NIC:
> 0000:40:00.0 = PCIE bridge (SMBIOS Slot 2)
> 0000:41:00.0 = Ethernet Device (port1)
> 0000:41:00.1 = Ethernet Device (port2)
> 0000:42:00.0 = Ethernet Device (port3)
> 0000:42:00.1 = Ethernet Device (port4)
>
> biosdevname would name these p2p1, p2p2, p2p3, p2p4 respectively.

How does it determine that 41 and 42 are the same device? I.e. how
does it differ from real bridge with two independent two-port cards
behind? Could you explain what information it is using? Is it exported
in sysfs?

> That could be possible. I've tried submitting a patch upstream for
> kernel but hasn't been accepted yet.  So SMBIOS parsing would have to
> be part of systemd.

udev is already using SMBIOS type 41 to obtain slot number for
on-board devices. As long as this information is exported via sysfs
for other PCI cards it should be straightforward to extend.