[systemd-devel] also about :208 VS 219

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Oct 23 03:16:17 PDT 2015

On Fri, 23.10.15 10:49, yankun at iscas.ac.cn (yankun at iscas.ac.cn) wrote:

> hello guys. The systemd 208 has a service
> -systemd---readahead-collect.service but it does not start in
> boot-time.while, The systemd 219 has a similar service named
> ureadahead.service and it starts in about 2s in boot-time. So the
> new versin can be much faster ,all right?

"ureadahead" is not a service shipped with systemd upstream. I think
that's an Ubuntu thing.

We removed systemd-readahead a while back because the benefits where
doubtful, and because nobody wanted to take care of it, but it needs
care-taking if it actually shall be tuned to today's kernels and
hardware and have a real benefit.