[systemd-devel] target file and executable file relationship doubt

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Oct 26 04:18:33 PDT 2015

On Mon, 26.10.15 17:06, kennedy (kennedyhan at 163.com) wrote:

> Thanks. I realized that the service file depends on target file.

> That "local-fs-pre.target" do nothing ? and then "local-fs.target" need boot.mount first ? The boot.mount and the other mount they were executed parallelize ?

Target units group stuff, they don't do anything on their own.

"local-fs-pre.target" is something where software that wants to run
before the first local mount is applied can place itself before. It
groups all such services.

OTOH "local-fs.target" is where all local mounts are ordered before
and pulled in by, it groups those together.

In systemd, everything that is pulled in and does not have explicit
ordering is executed in parallel with everything else.