[systemd-devel] Proper way of installing avahi dbus activation file

Pacho Ramos pacho at gentoo.org
Mon Oct 26 13:58:35 PDT 2015

Hello

In some distributions we are needing to run this:
ln -s avahi-daemon.service /usr/lib/systemd/system/dbus
-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service

To get avahi started when needed, otherwise, logs will start to be
logged about avahi being unable to be started when, for example, I try
to print something.

The problem is that reading:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Systemd#DBus_activation

"Note that the creation/removal of the alias symlinks should be done
with "systemctl enable" and "systemctl disable" only. You should not
create these symlinks manually"

It's not clear how could upstream to ensure this link is installed :/
https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/issues/29

Thanks a lot for your help