[systemd-devel] bootctl: default mount point for the ESP partition.

Goffredo Baroncelli kreijack at libero.it
Tue Sep 1 11:02:13 PDT 2015

On 2015-09-01 18:47, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On 01/09/15 17:21, Goffredo Baroncelli wrote:
>> I discovered that bootctl assume as default mount point for the ESP
>> partition the /boot directory. Instead it seems to me that the most part
>> of distributions prefers /boot/efi.
>
> For some context, the reasoning for /boot/efi is:
>
> In some distributions (presumably including the (Fedora-based?) ones
> where this feature was developed), /boot is traditionally treated as
> mutable and unpackaged, like /var; so the packages include the kernel in
> /usr or /lib or something, and copy it into /boot. The cost of this is
> one extra copy of the kernel on-disk, which used to be a significant
> amount of space, although on modern disks it doesn't really matter.

On the basis of this "Fedora 22 Multiboot Guide"

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/22/pdf/Multiboot_Guide/Fedora-22-Multiboot_Guide-en-US.pdf

(see page 18 for example) it seems that the ESP is mounted on /boot/efi

I found that only "arch" mounts ESP in /boot; the others (debian, ubuntu, suse) use /boot/efi

Here http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/DiscoverablePartitionsSpec/ reports that "...The ESP used for the current boot is automatically mounted to /boot,..."; this page was written by Lennart.

However most part of the distributions mount the ESP on /boot/efi...

[...]

--
gpg @keyserver.linux.it: Goffredo Baroncelli <kreijackATinwind.it>
Key fingerprint BBF5 1610 0B64 DAC6 5F7D 17B2 0EDA 9B37 8B82 E0B5