[systemd-devel] journald does not support syslog?

dE de.techno at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 05:50:30 PDT 2015

On 09/06/2015 06:00 PM, Michael Chapman wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Sep 2015, dE wrote:
>> Hello all!
>>
>> As per the systemd-journald man page,
>>
>>> It creates and maintains
>>>        structured, indexed journals based on logging information
>>> that is received from a variety of sources:
>>> Simple system log messages, via the libc syslog(3) call
>>
>> Unfortunately I did not find any configuration parameter to make
>> systemd-journald listen on a unix/network socket for syslog messages,
>> making me high suspicious of this claim.
>>
>> So final question is -- How do you make journald listen for syslog
>> messages via syslog protocol?
>
> See the systemd-journal-dev-log.socket unit on your system (it's
> mentioned in that manpage). This socket is passed to journald when
> it's started. The socket unit should be enabled and acive on any
> standard systemd installation.
>
> - Michael

Yes, I got that socket (/run/systemd/journal/dev-log).

However /dev/log is not present (it's not made by default) and ss -xnlp
does not list /run/systemd/journal/dev-log or it's corresponding inode
as being listened by any program.

Anyway, thanks for helping out. I've made the /dev/log symlink and now
it works.