[systemd-devel] user sessions and remote logins

Chaiken, Alison alison at she-devel.com
Sun Sep 6 09:24:10 PDT 2015

I asked:

>> When I ssh into the same host from a remote, 'loginctl list-sessions'
>> shows that no new session is created, and XDG_SESSION_COOKIE variable is
>> unset.
>
> Lennart responded:
> Yeah, this should have the same effect. Maybe "pam_systemd" is missing
> from the PAM configuration for your ssh? Or maybe you are running a
> system where PAM is turned off entirely for ssh? Which distro is this?

 Ah yes, I see that I had "UsePAM no" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config. Thanks! I
wouldn't ask for assistance with sshd configuration on this mailing
list, but thought I had misunderstood systemd-logind.

Once "UsePAM yes" is inserted in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and ssh.service is
restarted, password logins are still refused, but public-key login
results in a new session with appropriate cookie but not seat, which is
what I would have expected.

Thanks,

Alison

---
 Alison Chaiken alison at she-devel.com, 650-279-5600
http://{ she-devel.com, exerciseforthereader.org [1] }
 "There is expressive potential in not being together." -- Mark Volkert,
Assistant Concertmaster, San Francisco Symphony

Links:
------
[1] http://{she-devel.com,exerciseforthereader.org