[systemd-devel] Multi seats setup How-to

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Sep 6 09:53:37 PDT 2015

On Sun, 06.09.15 18:24, arnaud gaboury (arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 5:22 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, 06.09.15 16:31, arnaud gaboury (arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com) wrote:
> >
> > I fear this newer Plugable device is not as carefully designed as the
> > older ones, and uses non-recognizable vendor/product  ids... Thus we
> > cannot really add an ID_AUTO_SEAT rule from upstream for it. Pity.
>
> I am afraid you are right. I have tried all kind of possibilities and
> with nouveau driver. All tests point to the creation of seat but left
> me with a black screen for monitor of seat1.

Hmm? the ID_AUTO_SEAT stuff is just sugar on top, to make sure that
the multiseat hw just works, without requiring any configuration.

Without it it just means you have to manually assign devices to a
seat, that's all.

Nouveau is a driver for PCI hardware, not for the usb displaylink.

Before thinking of putting together seats, try to make the displaylink
hw work at all, so that you get something on screen. How to do that is
out of scope for systemd I fear though, can't help you much with that.

In general: systemd just keeps a database of what hw belongs to which
seat, that's all. Drivers and access to the devices are done in the
kernel and X11, and systemd has nothing to do with that really.