[systemd-devel] Possible confusion with socket activation and daemon own configuration

Richard Maw richard.maw at codethink.co.uk
Mon Sep 7 02:28:22 PDT 2015

On Sun, Sep 06, 2015 at 12:43:51PM +0200, Francis Moreau wrote:
> How is this handled ? Should we put a big warning in sshd_config to hint
> user to configure ListenAddress in sshd.socket in the case socket
> activation is used ?

> Or should sshd simply ignore all listening addresses defined in sshd_config
> when in socket activation mode ?

That would be my preferred solution. I may be missing something important here,
but I'd always assumed that sshd wouldn't need to worry about the listen
address if something else was accepting the connections on the socket.

As another alternative though, you could consider the sshd_config file the
canonical location for the listen address, and have a generator parse
sshd_config, and write a drop-in snippet for sshd.socket to set the
ListenAddress.