[systemd-devel] /dev or /tmp disappears when program is running

Steven Shiau steven at nchc.org.tw
Tue Sep 8 16:43:04 PDT 2015

On 9/8/2015 PM 10:05, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Tue, 08.09.15 20:45, Steven Shiau (steven at nchc.org.tw) wrote:
>
>> Dear systemd developers,
>> I encountered a very weird issue, i.e. the /dev or /tmp disappears when
>> program is running.
>> The client system is nfsroot (diskless), running on the Debian Sid with
>> Linux kernel 4.1.0-2-amd64. The PXE/NFS server is a Debian Live system
>> running NFS server by unfs3 [1], its mounting status is attached as
>> "server-table.txt", and the client's initial mounting status is attached
>> as "client-table.txt". You can see /dev/ is mounted as devtmpfs. This is
>> quite normal.
>> When a system deployment program (clonezilla [2]) is run in the diskless
>> client machine, suddenly the /dev/ is gone, as shown in the attached
>> file "client-table-dev-missing.txt". You can see "/dev/" is missing. To
>> narrow down the issue, I have switched to sysvinit, but still use
>> systemd-udevd on this Debian Sid system.
>
> What makes you think this is a systemd issue, and not a clonezilla issue?
>
> Lennart

Thanks. The reason is the same versions of Clonezilla-related programs
work on the Debian live system, i.e. not on nfsroot environment.
Therefore I guess it maybe due to systemd-udevd with nfsroot. Maybe I am
wrong.

Steven.

--
Steven Shiau <steven _at_ stevenshiau org>
Public Key Server PGP Key ID: 4096R/47CF935C