[systemd-devel] hinting systemd about what to do to make a device appear

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Fri Sep 11 10:39:41 PDT 2015

also sprach Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> [2015-09-11 14:16 +0200]:
> I figure the next step is to attach gdb to PID, set a break point
> in device_process_new() and figure out why systemd doesn't care
> for the symlink.

Frankly — and you won't like this — but I lack the resources to get
involved at this level. My gdb days are a while in the past and in
order to figure out what's going on, I'd need to spend a lot more
time with the code, I'm afraid. I don't have the time for this.

> I still have the suspicion that drbd does something weird with
> /dev, and breaks things there... To detect that one option might
> be to use Martin Pitt's fatrace tool on /dev and see what accesses
> are made to /dev when the device is supposed to show up.

Regarding drbd touching /dev, all I can say is that it /looks/ like
it's doing everything you're asking it to do, via udev:

  http://slexy.org/raw/s20OEktMXW

Using "fatrace -c" in /dev and starting drbd returns absolutely
nothing, not a single line, which I find a bit suspcicious, or does
fatrace not include udev/systemd-generated events?

--
@martinkrafft | http://madduck.net/ | http://two.sentenc.es/

"da haben wir es also: eine kirchliche ordnung mit priesterschaft,
 theologie, kultus, sakrament;
 kurz, alles das, was jesus von nazareth bekämpft hatte..."
                                                 - friedrich nietzsche

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net