[systemd-devel] Implicit unit dependency on slice might be too weak ?

Francis Moreau francis.moro at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 02:52:05 PDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 11:14 AM, David Herrmann <dh.herrmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 10:58 AM, Francis Moreau <francis.moro at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>> But what if the slice fails to start ?
>>
>> Will the unit asking for a specific slice (which fails to start) be
>> moved into another slice ? It seems that whatever the final
>> destination used by systemd, the constraints used by the "fallback"
>> slice won't be correct, no ?
>
> Correct.
>
> You still get a big fat error on your screen and you should fix your
> setup. Again, if that's no suitable, you better use "Requires=".

To put a unit in a slice, one uses by default

   Slice=myslice.slice

and the default behaviour is to add Wants=myslice.slice to the unit.

If the unit will always fail to start if myslice.slice fails then I
would say the default  behaviour should be Requires=myslice.slice.

I think getting an clean error to inform that the slice can't be
started at first and not trying to start the unit (which will crash
anyway) is more appropriate than getting a big fat obscure warning
because my unit will fail to start.

Thanks
--
Francis