[systemd-devel] Implicit unit dependency on slice might be too weak ?

Francis Moreau francis.moro at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 06:59:27 PDT 2015

> On Mon, 21.09.15 16:50, Francis Moreau (francis.moro at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If a unit depends on a slice, a Wants=machine.slice is automatically
>> added to the unit constraints.
>>
>> Why is "Requires=machine.slice" not prefered instead ?
>
> I think I agree, we should really make this a requires.

One thing I noted is that even if the slice failed to start, the slice
is still created by starting the unit belonging to that slice, and the
resource controls are still correctly applied to the slice.

Is that expected that units create slice that they belong to ?

I would have expected the unit fails to start because it couldn't find
the slice.

Thanks.