[systemd-devel] systemd efi boot and default entry

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 10:50:49 UTC 2016

On 04/01/2016 10:11 AM, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
>> I dont see how you plan on implement this if not with either a secondary
>> program loader which stores an redundant environment or an kernel support
>> that does the similar/same thing I mean you need to have a watchdog
>> support,boot counter  which get's cleared when system decides it's up and
>> stable,boot limit which tells it how many times it should try with an given
>> entry, an entry which points to which kernel/image/snapshot to use right?
>>
>> I'm pretty sure Kay and Lennart must have thought things through so they
>> just dont add just some half ass, none future proof, working solution that
>> give administrators and embedded distribution fake notion of redundancy or a
>> "fail-safe" when images and or kernel or the OS itself get's
>> update/upgraded.
>>
>> If this cannot or will not be reliably implemented there is no point in
>> implementing this in the first place from my pov.
>
> In my POV - provide systemd service file that started after all stuff
> (may be this is systemd --user service or something like this) .
> I think that successful start - run my preferred DE.

It would not be type units that would determine when boot is considered
completed since you cannot reliably rely on that.

AFAIK the android boot process fires an standard broadcasting action
"ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED" once system services are up and running in
memory, which is the time when it considered the boot being completed
and "stable".

JBG