[systemd-devel] Targeting `systemd --user` for a distributed app without root access: dead-end or neat?

Michael Chapman mike at very.puzzling.org
Sat Apr 9 06:51:43 UTC 2016

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016, sbaugh at catern.com wrote:
> Hugues Malphettes <hmalphettes at gmail.com> writes:
[...]
>> So what is the future for this part of systemd?
>
> Not being a systemd developer, I can only hope that systemd --user stays
> around; it's a great movement in the right direction, of putting more
> capability in the hands of unprivileged users. Using it as a component
> in a cluster manager like Fleet is an important part of this.

I too hope that "systemd --user", or something very much like it, stays
around. I often need to provide unprivileged users the ability to run
their own long-running processes, and user systemd instances have been
invaluable for this. In particular, being able to define a unit in
/etc/systemd/user/ and have any user make use of it at will is
particularly useful.

If there is just one change I would make, it would be that using systemctl
without the --system or --user options would contact *both* the system and
user instances, and allow the user to control any and all units for which
they have permissions to do so. That would mirror the behaviour of
journalctl (which shows all log messages you've got permissions to see),
and it'd be one fewer things I'd need to remind unprivileged users about.

- Michael