[systemd-devel] Network Interface Names: solution for a desktop OS

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Sun Apr 10 23:05:16 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 12:27:24AM +0200, Xen wrote:
> Michael Biebl schreef op 11-04-16 00:22:
> > So why don't you implement such a scheme? Talk is cheap
>
> Criticising an idea by saying "do it yourself" is even cheaper.
>
> MUCH MUCH cheaper.
>
> Idiot.

No he isn't.  The developers here put a lot of thought and energy
working with numerous hardware requirements an user cases in order to
come up with the current situation.  It works for almost everyone, which
is vastly better than the previous scheme of "first driver loaded
wins!", which barely worked for anyone, and caused so many problems it
wasn't funny (just ask any of us who have been in support for a distro
about the problems...)

If you have an alternative proposal, great, it can be fit into the
existing system (note the heirachy of names that are picked depending on
just how well your hardware describes itself.)  Please propose that.

If you don't like the current scheme, that's also fine, there is a
trivial way to "opt-out" of it.

So I don't understand your complaints, you don't like the current
scheme, yet you don't have any proposal other than "I liked the original
way", which you still have access to.  So really, there isn't anything
to change here that I can see, unless you have a new naming scheme that
can be implemented as well?

thanks,

greg k-h