[systemd-devel] How to log to journald using fifo?

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Mon Apr 11 14:21:22 UTC 2016

On Sun, 10.04.16 22:57, Samuel Williams (space.ship.traveller at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I've been trying to figure out the best way to support legacy applications
> that don't support syslog for logging. The best we can do, I think, is to
> use fifo and have another process read the fifo to journald.

Note that on systemd everything logged out stdout or stderr ends up in
the journal anyway. And you can specify /dev/stderr or /proc/self/fd/2
as path referring to stderr on Linux generally, if you need.

> Finally, if this is a good approach, is this method worth putting into
> systemd/journald as a standard service? If so, how do I submit a PR or
> where to begin?

Specific work-arounds around other, unrelated pieces of software are
not really what we we'd like to add to systemd directly. Sorry.