[systemd-devel] Network Interface Names: solution for a desktop OS

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Apr 11 22:14:53 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 11:13:25PM +0200, Xen wrote:
> >> You can put usb devices at the end of the list.
> >
> > Why last?  How do you know they go last when scanning?  How do you know
> > when / if they will show up?  What about 2 USB devices?  3?
>
> To me it seems obvious that you initialize onboard devices before USB
> devices, so it would not be a "how do you know" because you do it yourself.

How you determine if a device is "onboard" or "offboard"?  Are you going
to know when all "onboard" devices are found before you do anything
else?  How?

> Also, since the current scheme puts usb devices in a slightly different
> format you can identify them from the name.
>
> You are right in saying that that would cause a list that changes as it
> is getting populated. But onboard/builtin devices should definitely all
> be scanned before networking is initialized right?

Not true at all, drivers are loaded whenever, at pretty much random
times, when ever the hardware is found by the kernel.  It's
non-deterministic and you never know when it's done for some busses
(like USB).

Best of luck,

greg k-h