[systemd-devel] Network Interface Names: solution for a desktop OS

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) rudd-o at rudd-o.com
Tue Apr 12 10:46:00 UTC 2016

On 04/12/2016 02:26 AM, Xen wrote:
> Greg KH schreef op 12-04-16 00:14:
>>> Also, since the current scheme puts usb devices in a slightly different
>>> format you can identify them from the name.
>>>
>>> You are right in saying that that would cause a list that changes as it
>>> is getting populated. But onboard/builtin devices should definitely all
>>> be scanned before networking is initialized right?
>> Not true at all, drivers are loaded whenever, at pretty much random
>> times, when ever the hardware is found by the kernel.  It's
>> non-deterministic and you never know when it's done for some busses
>> (like USB).
> That is completely nonsensical because it would imply that some network
> device could be initialized 2 hours after the system had booted.

Greg KH is completely correct -- that can totally happen.

But it's clear that rational, calm, evidence-based arguments aren't
swaying you.

So I'll try asking a question instead:

1. Why don't you follow the documented procedure to disable the feature
you hate?  What's it with posting on the list repeatedly about it?
2. The new netdev naming system has made the lives of many people much
better (me included).  Why should /your/ preference -- which would
instantly make us all worse off -- become the new default, over our
well-served needs?

--
    Rudd-O
    http://rudd-o.com/